Thursday, March 12, 2015

Don’t Strip Down to Nothing When Budgeting. Having the Right Insurance is NO Accident

Budgeting... When I think about it, one question that comes to mind is, ‘Where and what can I cut?’ What about you? Cable, vacations, eating out? What about insurance? Do thoughts of cutting coverage's come to mind? What about flood insurance? Do you think, “What if I cut flood insurance? Do I really need it? I can’t remember the last time it even rained where I live?” Here’s a question you don’t want to ask yourself in the event of a flood, “Why did I cut out flood insurance?” Do you want to ask yourself that question or think, “Phew! Sure am relieved I decided not to cut my flood insurance.”

Here’s a few “What If’s” to ask yourself:

1.  What if I only purchase liability coverage for my vehicle?  Legally, you would be good. BUT what if you were in an accident.  If in the event you are sued, and costs go above what your coverage is, will you be able to pay out-of-pocket? Will the minimum cover any and all expenses? Not likely. It’s never a bad idea to make sure you have the right coverage at all times, and not just the minimum to fall in line with the law.


2.  What if there is a flood?  Living in Texas, the weather is almost never predicable. I've always heard it said, “If you don’t like the weather in Texas, wait a minute or two.” The sun will be shining bright one moment, pouring rain the next, with a possible a snow storm shortly after. It doesn't take much rain or melting snow to cause havoc on the wallet. Whether it’s your home or place of business, there is always a flood risk and not all policies include flood insurance. Give us a call and we will be happy to sit down and look through the different coverage's to make sure you are covered.


3. I’m on a budget. What if I went with the company that gave me the cheapest quote? Make sure, that if you did go with the cheaper quote, that the company you decided to go with has great customer service, can be reached 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and that is financially sound. There are so many insurance companies out there. Doing your homework will only benefit you.


4. What if I just rent? Shouldn't it be my landlord who carries the insurance?  Coverage over the building, yes. Your possession within the building, no. In the event of a fire, it will not cover your lost possessions or any other additional living expenses that may arise from the fire. Also, if you were to be found at fault for an injury in your home, renters insurance provides liability coverage.


5. What if I only insure my home for the real estate value? Will I be covered in the event of a total loss?  There are a few factors that need to be taken into account when insuring your home. Basing coverage on what you paid for your home or what it’s currently valued at may not be enough. Consider the contents and what it would actually cost to rebuild your home and replace what was lost.


  

Have anymore, “What if” questions? Give the office a call. We will answer any questions and make sure that you are not under insured when disaster strikes. Don’t gamble with your possessions.  Let us help get you into the right coverage today!

No comments:

Post a Comment